I’ve always loved baking. Its been handed down as a passion from my grandmother, to my mother, to me and I hope to pass it on to Cheeky Monkey as he grows.
Today we made Cheesymite Scrolls. I have a hard time convincing Cheeky Monkey to eat many snack foods I make, but I also dont like to give too many foods from a packet. I adapted a recipe from the Stay At Home Mum blog, making changes based on what I had in my pantry. Anybody who has been in my home when I bake knows I’m not great at following recipes but I made sure I took notes this time. Its pretty heavy on the cheese and Vegemite but thats how the Monkey likes it.
What You Need
1 1/2 cup Self Raising Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
50 grams Butter at room temperature
1/2 cups Milk
2 cups Cheddar and/or Tasty cheese grated
2 tbsp Vegemite
What to Do
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees
2. Sift flour and salt into a bowl, add butter and mix on medium speed until it looks like breadcrumbs
3. Stir in enough milk to make a soft dough
4. Knead on a lightly floured board then roll to form a rectangle that is 1cm thick
5. Spread Vegemite over the dough using a blunt knife and top with 3/4 of the cheese
6. Roll up the dough starting from a long side first, cut 3cm pieces from the roll
7. Place these pieces close together, cut side up on a greased baking tray. Top with remaining cheese
8. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with how these came out. Cheeky Monkey nibbled a few and the dog absolutely loved them! They freeze well so ours will be rationed out over the next week or so, to be enjoyed while out exploring the world.